I wrote an article on who/what we are in Christ. This post is a follow up on that article. We will be focusing on the scripture “Be not conformed to this world be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, acceptable and prefect, will of God “ Romans 12:2 (KJV). According to the random House Dictionary the definition for these words are as follows: conform means to be in harmony, similar, identical and in agreement with. Transform means to change in character or condition. (Like a metamorphosis) Renew is to be restored, to make new spiritually, regenerate and to make extensive changes and the word mind means the complex elements in an individual that feels, perceives thinks wills and reasons.
We see from scripture that God has said be not conformed, but transformed, renewed in the mind so the above definitions will not be used for this article. God’s word will define the words for us. In all our getting, we have to get and understanding.
As Christians, we live in this world but we are not to be conformed to the patterns/standards of this world. We are not to be in harmony, agreement or have similar ideals with the world. Therefore, when we live and walk in harmony with the world then we are not in agreement with the word of God. We are influenced either by the patterns/standards of this world or by the word of God. Though we live in this world, God has set us apart to show it a better way and to bring those that are not in the faith to the faith. When we are not living and resisting the standards/patterns that have been set, you are aware, they think that something is wrong with us. I believe the saying is “we are not normal”. In an attempt to make us conform, many things, (for lack of a better word) are used. One form of manipulation is the media. For instance, the TV and this is the statement it makes “Let me tell you a vision”. They bombard us with the things to buy, how we should look, where to live and etc. and they are quite persistent. All of this is a false sense of security/satisfaction. The manipulation is so subliminal sometimes we are not aware that we have bought into it. Ok, we cannot forget the news. Is it news or is it an opinion? My personal belief is that it is more opinions than news. Unfortunately, we are more influenced by someone’s opinion rather than searching for the truth ourselves. We know of course, we do exactly what they expected and intended. Therefore, if what we are looking for is a sense of self-worth, inner peace and gratification then we cannot buy into the visions/patterns/standards/opinions. It is time to stop being fed by others. Consider the following scriptures to see what God thinks about conform.
- Phil: 4:6-9 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (NIV)
- Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusted in thee. (KJV)
- Ps. 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity (ESB)
- Ephesians 4:17-32 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. But ye have not learned Christ; if so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after god is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members of one another. Be ye angry and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more; but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which good that he may have to give to him that needed. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that, which is good, to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
Are we seeing the visions that they are persistent in telling us “Let me tell you a vision” either through our hearing or vision verses how God wants us to live. Are we thinking about it? Good. Now that we know that we are not be conformed, then we must be transformed.
Transformed, the Word of God states be ye transformed, how do you suppose we are to do this? Ok, this is what we need. Character change, heart change, condition (state of being) we can agree on this, that if it were possible, we would have made all these changes. Right, so this means we cannot change ourselves. However, if God said be transformed it can be done. The tools that he has given us is in His Word. The character change, comes because we are new creatures. After salvation, that old man is gone. 2 Cor 5:17, Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature. Heart Change, Ezekiel 36:26 A new Heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. Condition (state of being) let our internal change happen and external will follow. Of course, all of this is a choice; I am only suggesting that we think about our own life. Therefore, keep this in mind, God will change us from the inside out, if we are willing to surrender all to Him, all we have to do is say YES. We began at conform then we stopped at, transform our next stop is renew.
Renewing, restoring to make new spiritually, regenerate and make extensive changes. Ok, there is nothing wrong with my mind, I do not need it renewed, and I hear you. For the sake of argument, follow me. We have learned from the scripture Romans 12:2 that our minds should be renewed and why, well the Bible tells us that our heart is deceitful. Jer. 17:9, the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick, who can understand it. Therefore, if God says that our hearts are deceitful would not our minds deceive us? Proverbs 4:23 states, “ Guard your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life and Proverbs 18:21 death and life are in the power of the tongue and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” In the transforming, and renewing of mind, I am learning that I do not have to say everything that comes into my mind nor do I have to retain every thought that enters into my mind. Joyce Meyer made a statement “think about what you are thinking about.” There are many influences that will affect our thinking just remember every thought that we have is not necessarily ours. Ok, now we know that our hearts are deceitful, our conversations are not fruitful, and our thoughts are negative do you think that God has a point? Ok, let us keep going.
Our mind (thinking) has to be on a spiritual level, (I do not mean floating around in the air) but mindful of the word and having our thoughts line up with the Word We have to learn how to be still long enough to hear what the Word of God is saying. Most of our thinking has been distorted because of what we have heard and what we see. Our own voices can be quite deceitful. God would not have us in a state of confusion, which is precisely why we have to get our minds renewed. The mind is where the transformation takes place. The word of God acts like an eraser. The more word we take in the old mind set disappears.
· Philippians 2:1-5 1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 Fulfill ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind .3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Now that we have read this, do we think that God has good reasons for telling us to be not conformed, but be transformed by the renewing of mind that we are able to prove (test) what is good and well pleasing will of God is. To give him all of our issues and to receive his love then life’s burdens would not be so difficult. When we think like God thinks it keeps us from allowing our emotions from taking over and making the wrong decisions based on emotions. Our decisions should be based on truth, and line up with the Word of God (his principles) not based on emotions and the opinions of others. Remember this rule of thumb it may help us. When making a decision and we have no peace, (inner peace) re-think our decision!
However, I realize that this article is faith based and, unfortunately, those of us that are in the faith are in need of a transformed mind. Ask ourself these questions, my mind, is it in turmoil, locked up, peaceful and is it open to the Holy Spirit. Having a peaceful mind and having it open to the Holy Spirit is a choice only we can make. I pray that we all make the right choice and chose to have a renewed mind so that we can have a transformed life. (See diagram below)
For those that are searching for peace and have not found it, I offer Christ to you. Remember, He is a choice and only you can make that choice. I hope that you will make the right one and say YES!
Romans: 10:9-10, that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shall be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth, confession is made unto salvation. (KJV)
To simplify that verse, we repent of our sins by asking God to forgive us, believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, that he came in the flesh and he died, God raised him up from the dead. Ask him to be your Lord and Savior. That is all and just BELIEVE!